Woody Allen once said, “80 percent of success is showing up.”
In today’s world that quote could be split up to say “40 percent of success is showing up and 40 percent is following up.”
Far too many leasing agents think of the showing as the be-all-end-all of the leasing process. It isn’t.
After working to make an appealing listing and arranging for and then giving a showing, your work is not over. The follow up is sometimes the most important part of the real estate business.
• Your potential renter is likely looking at many locations with different agents. A follow up is your way of standing out, of keeping you and your showing in the prospect’s mind.
• If the prospective renter has any questions about the property, you want to be ready to answer those questions. If you haven’t established a post-showing channel of communication BEFORE the prospect even thinks to ask, he may just move on to another property and agent who feels more accessible.
• Many emotional factors go into the leasing process. It is important that the prospective tenant feels a connection to you and knows that you consider them personally important.
For several reasons, email is the most effective way to do this.
• It avoids phone tag. An email allows you to instantly connect with the prospects and allows them to get back to you right away, regardless of where you are or what you are doing. Although there is not always time for a phone call, there is almost always time for a quick email.
• It is less obtrusive. Many people, especially younger people, are simply used to email as the standard form of communication between two people not in the same place. Some people are much more comfortable with email than talking on the phone.
• It can also be used in tandem with a phone call. This allows you to benefit from using the email to make a quick and effective connection, while, when you do have time for a phone call, offering your client that other means of reaching you if they prefer.
The follow up email is such an important part of each showing, but it is best not to leave it to circumstance. The reality of the life is that you will often have other things that prevent you from writing or remembering to write a follow-up email. Some of these may be due to other business related activities or simply other life responsibilities.
Luckily, ShowMojo can now be used to help you complete this essential task. ShowMojo will
• Prepare and automatically send follow-up emails for all completed showings
• Let you choose how many hours after the showing you want the follow-up email to be sent.
• Send a pre-written follow-up template or one you’ve customized.
• Eliminate the hassle of writing multiple follow up emails, ultimately saving you time and furthering your communication with the potential renter.
If “40 percent of success is showing up and 40 percent is following up,” it seems safe to say, in real estate anyway, that the other 20 percent of success is using ShowMojo.